Sunday, December 9, 2007

Finally a Stew Recipe From The Irishman

Greetings,

I know this is two posts in one day, but I'm at the computer. The next recipe is one for Irish Stew. For me it is a wonderful thing to have on a cold day with a Guinness. The amount of beef and potatoes will vary depending on the size of your crock pot. Mine is fairly large so that is what this recipe is made for. I also like a lot of meat in my stew, hence the 3 pounds of beef.

It may seem not important, but browning the meat is crucial to getting a good stew. What browning does is seal the outside of the meat so it doesn't loose all of its juice while cooking. It is the same concept when searing a steak and finishing it in the broiler. All those lovely juices stay inside just waiting for us to enjoy them. It also helps to keep the meat tender and not rock like. Even though stew is cooked with a good deal of liquid, the meat can dry out.

The broth is make by a company called Pacific. They have so many good broth and soup products, most of which are organic. Their roasted red pepper and tomato soup is the only tomato soup I will eat. But I digress. You can find it many different places. My local Fred Meyer carries it in the health food section.

On a final note, I like a whole lot of black pepper in my stew. I don't know exactly how much I put in, but I am turning that grinder for a good long while. As a second final note, the Guinness in the stew is there for taste but also to help tenderize the meat. For those that don't drink, the alcohol cooks out.

Kevin’s Irish Stew

3lbs stew meat

4-6 yukon gold potatoes, cut into bits sized pieces

3 carrots, halved lengthwise and diced

3 celery sticks, slit down the middle and diced

1 32oz box Pacific beef broth

1 14.5oz can Guinness

4 tbsp ground cumin

2 tbsp ground coriander

Kosher salt

Fresh ground black pepper

2 tbsp Olive oil

Heat the olive oil in a pan at just over medium heat. Brown the meat until all sides are sealed. Place meat and veggies into the crock pot. Add the Guinness and then top of with the broth so that the liquid level. Add the cumin, coriander, and as much salt and black pepper as you like. Give it all a good stir to mix, put the lid on, and cook. There are two different cooking times you can go by. High for 4-5 hours, or low for 8-9 hours.


Slainte,

Kevin

No comments: